Open Reading Group on Class/ism
Since the beginning of 2023, the TQW theory programme has been focusing on class and classism in relation to the performing arts. After a lab and a Research Affiliation in spring, we invite anyone interested in the topic to a monthly reading group where we can explore new ideas, discuss texts, debate concepts and share experiences and visions. Hosted by Anna Leon.
The texts will be selected from:
- Cynthia Cruz: The Melancholia of Class: A Manifesto for the Working Class
- Orian Brook, Dave O’Brien & Mark Taylor: Culture Is Bad for You: Inequality in the Cultural and Creative Industries
- Martha Rosler: Culture Class
- Joe Scanlan: Classism: An Introduction
- Angela Davis: Women, Race & Class
- Cedric Robinson: Black Marxism
- Andrea d’Atri: Bread and Roses: Gender and Class Under Capitalism
- bell hooks: Where We Stand: Class Matters
- McKenzie Wark: Capital Is Dead: Is This Something Worse?
- Anna Tsing: The Mushroom at the End of the World: On the Possibility of Life in Capitalist Ruins
- Kohei Saito: Capital in the Anthropocene
- Dave Beech: Art and Postcapitalism: Aesthetic Labour, Automation and Value Production
The texts will be in English; the discussion can circulate between English and German as needed.